Were they ever cool to begin with ?
Details of CCP next MMO ( and the main reasion EvE is dieing according to the forums ) is thier take on White Wolfs Vampire RPG.
From the sound of it, its going to be a Vampire Theme second life with permadeath.
Read the full feature list in the rest of the post:
- The producers stated their philosophy in making this MMO was "human interaction". They feel that is limited in the current crop of MMO's and their biggest weakness.
- They are trying to emulate the feel of LARPing more then EVE or any other game system with this MMO
- There will be a general CCP run metaplot that develops over time but the main metaplots will be left for the players to drive forward.
- Next year is when more specific info and details will come out
- Incarna is actually considered a prototype, the rendering engine that will ship with the MMO will be much more advanced.
- Everyone starts as a mortal, becoming kindred in optional and can not be forced on you. You can play he entire game as a mortal only.
- There will be final death for both mortals and kindred.
- There will be cities (plural) and communication between them (the various kindred and clans) will be encouraged/possible.
- Caitiff will NOT be in on release. They discussed it internally and couldn't find a way to make them work in a way they liked.
- Casual players will find the game accessible but hard core players will have a much deeper experience and more rewards/benefits.
- Considering some kind of web site access interface for the MMO
- NO day/night cycle, only night.
- Humanity is a stat is game and one use is to address griefers. The more you cause issues for other players, break the masq, etc the more you can loose humanity and once it gets too low other players (and NPCs?) can attack you (implied even if you flag yourself non-pvp).
- Griefers will suffer both in game and if serious enough out of game penalties (ie account banning)
- Helps to make friends and not enemies in game as you can not get to the top of the food chain without networking and having friends to assist you.
- Players will have havens.
- Players can climb the ladder and get to Prince levels of power and run a city
- Can get to Prince level power without killing a single thing, all done via networking, politics and friendships
- ONLY kindred on release of game, no were's, mages, etc. However those other supernaturals may be used in a NPC fashion or/and their lore appear in game.
- MMO character sheet very similar to the V:tM PnP character sheet.
- Character names over the avatars head by default turned off, but can turn them on.
- Game world/environment will change over time; real in game consequences for player actions.
- Diablerie and related game mechanics from the PnP game is "under heavy discussion" no decision as of now.
- Dynamic NPC missions/World events
- One world server, no shards/instancing.
- Torpor in game but not used as in PnP game, used as a mechanic to explain why a kindred did not die/final death
- They are aware the WoD is is a adult setting and the devs are going to not shy away from gore, blood and nudity. However such will have a reason and not adult content for the sake of adult content. - Source